The first historical information on Bevagna coincides with the Roman conquest of Umbria, even if there are traces of human settlements since the Iron Age and significant archaeological finds confirm the presence of the Umbrians in the territory of Bevan.
Roman town hall (90 BC), ascribed to the Aemilia tribe, is at the center of the great viability set by the Romans with the Via Flaminia (220 BC) which, together with river transport, facilitates trade and determines the prosperity of Mevania which lasts until the III century d. C., when the Flaminia section passing through Terni and Spoleto gains importance.
The spread of Christianity is the cause of numerous martyrs including St. Vincent, the first bishop and patron saint of the country.
Bevagna then became part of the Duchy of Spoleto and, subsequently (774), of the Papal State, although it continues to depend on the Empire.
After the year 1000 it was constituted as a free municipality governed by Consoli, it lived alternating vicissitudes in the subjection to the Church and the Empire but remained substantially faithful to the first until the advent of the unification of Italy.
An important role for the history of the city and its territorial context is represented, as for the other municipalities of the Valle Umbra, by the efforts and struggles for the reclamation of the marshy areas and for the regulation of the numerous waterways. Started in 1456, the draining of the drinking plain reaches concrete results in the second half of the 16th century.
And ‘with the’ 700 and, especially during the 800, that the hydraulic system of this area starts a final order.